- Dan leads the Cloud Native Computing Foundation.
- He consults for companies and advises startups focused on cloud, security, open source and enterprise software development.
- Some recent projects:
- The Cloud Native Landscape
- The 30 highest velocity open source projects
- Why I recommend the Apache Software License
- DevStats, analysis of Kubernetes contributions
- The CII Best Practices Badge
- Presentation: A Brief History of the Cloud
- Presentation: Migrating Legacy Monoliths to Cloud Native Microservices Architectures on Kubernetes
- Changelog interview
Dan is Executive Director of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, which sustains and integrates open source technologies like Kubernetes and Prometheus. He also helped create the Linux Foundation's Core Infrastructure Initiative as an industry-wide response to the security vulnerabilities demonstrated by Heartbleed.
He previously served as CTO of several startups, including Spreemo, a healthcare marketplace, and Shopbeam, a shoppable ads company. Earlier, he was a general partner at Skymoon Ventures, a seed-stage venture capital firm that created startups in semiconductors and telecom infrastructure.
Dan helped manage a number of telecoms firms controlled by Craig McCaw and started his career as founder and CEO of NetMarket, one of the first Internet companies. In 1994, he led the development of the first music store on the web, conducting the first secure commercial transaction after building the first web shopping cart. When not traveling, Dan lives in Manhattan with his wife and two sons.
He can be reached at email@example.com.
- Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, 2/26-28/2018
- Open Source Leadership Summit, Sonoma, 3/6-8/2018
- IBM Think, Las Vegas, 3/19-22/2019
- Open Networking Summit NA, Los Angeles, 3/26-29/2018
- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon EU, Copenhagen, 5/2-4/2018
- Red Hat Summit, San Francisco, 5/8-10/2018
- OpenStack Summit, Vancouver, May 21-24, 2018
- DockerCon, San Francisco, 6/12-14/2018
- Open Source Summit Japan, Tokyo, 6/20-22/2018
- LinuxCon+ContainerCon+CloudOpen, Beijing, 6/25-27/2018
- Google Next, San Francisco, 7/24-27/2018
- Open Source Summit NA, Vancouver, 8/29-31/2018
- Open Networking Summit EU, Amsterdam, 9/25-27/2018
- Open Source Summit EU, Edinburgh, 10/22-24/2018
- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon China, Shanghai, 11/14-15/2018
- AWS Reinvent, Las Vegas, 11/27-29/2018
- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon NA, Seattle, 12/11-13/2018
- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon NA, Austin, 12/6-8/2018
- Google Cloud Webinar, 11/15/2017
- Alibaba Cloud Conference, Hangzhou, 10/11-15/2017
- Open Source Summit Japan, Tokyo, 6/1-2/2017
- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon EU, Berlin, 3/29-30/2017
- KubeCon + CloudNativeCon NA, Seattle, 11/8-9/2016
- LinuxCon + ContainerCon EU, Berlin, 10/4-6/2016
“China today has this classic example of a second-mover advantage where they just didn’t have the couple decades of previous investment into proprietary technologies. So they’re building up from scratch today, and looking at best practices from around the world.”
— Architecht podcast, June 2017